Below is a living list of projects that are either works in process or queued up in the hopper as bucket list items. I find that keeping a list of near-term and long term goals like this that I can refer to increases the probability that I will actually get around to completing them.
This list was inspired by the Tim Ferriss "Dreamlining" method where you:
"...list up to five things you dream of having (including, but not limited to, material wants: house, car, clothing, etc.),being (be a great cook, be fluent in Chinese, etc.), and doing (visiting Thailand, tracing your roots overseas, racing ostriches, etc.), in that order..." ~ Tim Ferriss
I love the dreamlining idea because it forces you to think big, but I took some liberty and freestyled a bit. The list below has some lofty goals, but also some easily achievable things, making it a running To-Do list of things that I want to accomplish over the next five or so years.
This is a non-professional list... Although this blog does cover things I have learned in the workplace, the focus here is purely non-work interests. My list is grouped as follows:
- things i want to do
- things i want to have
- things i want to be
- things i want to see
Things I want to do
- Sail/cruise from WA to Alaska along the inside passage,
- Hike all WA sections of the PCT (Stehekin to Rainy pass is done).
- Summit Mt Whitney (I made it up to 12000 feet with my oldest daughter, would love a re-match)
- Sail to Princess Louisa inlet in British Columbia
- Sign up for a training course or coaching from an author who has shifted my thinking (Michael Hyatt, Tiago Forte, Mark Moss, Tim Ferriss, etc.)
Things I want to have
- Financial independence - complete freedom of time and mobility
- Upgrade my heavy backpacking gear from two decades ago to some of the modern, ultralight gear
- A camera that increases my ability to grab great photos and video without being heavy/complex
Things I want to be
- A decent outdoor photographer - would love to upgrade my game. I have alot of great adventures under my belt but I'm not so good at capturing them.
- A capable sailor. Once you get a sailboat out of a marina it's an affordable way to travel. This is actually part of my retirement plan, so learning how to safely sail in all kinds of conditions is a goal.
- A decent blogger - trying to get better at learning, sharing and connecting.
- A published author - even if it is a simple kindle book. I told my college room mate I would be an author someday and he thought it was quite funny. Thus far he is right, but I have not given up.
Things I want to see
- Aurora borealis
- The southern and northern terminus of the PCT
- Hall of Mosses, Olympic National Park
- R2AK start party
- The Movie Shawshank Redemption - for some reason this has been on the list since 2017 and I haven't gotten around to it
This is a living list... things on my mind going in to 2023. I will keep this on the "about" menu and update it as I go.